Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Do It Yourself

This is my late great grand father. He built that organ... and he knew how to play it. You see I come from a long line of do it your selfers. At least a long line of people that think you ought to take care of yourself and not count on the government to take care of you. Crazy people that think government should be smaller not bigger. Honestly, I agree with that.
Lately I have been inspired by the ideas of self sufficiency. I've been having dreams about growing my own veggies, killing my own meat, and building my own stuff. I want to be less of a consumer. I want to be less dependant on others. I want to be more enterpeneurial.
However, I'm at an interesting place in my life where this season is requiring me to ask others to help us. It's difficult because part of me feels like it'd be easier to just do it myself. Certainly it's difficult to let others help you. Certainly it's hard to work alongside others. Certainly, it's humbling to admit I can't do it on my own. But aren't we all in the same circumstance? Isn't doing it by myself exponentialy more difficult? We desperately need each other. We need family, community, and intimacy with others. We need each others help, prayers, and blessings. These things matter. Thank you to those who are helping us take our next steps.

No comments: