Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What were you thinking?

... one year ago.

In case you haven't heard, we are moving. We are birthing a new christian community in Avondale, AZ. My wife and I largely have a heart for those who we describe as post-christian, even post charismatic; those who grew up in churches like ours and for good reasons (or ones I don't completely understand) have left the church. They still love Jesus and I would even say they are part of the "Church", but not a local body of believers. Can the organization, the institution, the home base, welcome these folks? Would they ever come back and find this kind of fellowship, grace, and encouragement, helpful? I'm hopeful. In my transition I look at the young people I'm leaving and wonder what the church is doing to keep them from becoming ecclesiastically homeless in a few years? Maybe instead of looking for a response, I should still be thinking proactive. May we do both well.

Anyone tracking with me?


No comments: