Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Still Adjusting to Where I Live...

Driving my wife to school yesterday, I saw for the first time Sheriff Joe's chain gang. They were there on the side of the road pulling weeds in striped jump suits. (I started singing songs from the movie "brother where art thou".) It's one thing to get the circulated emails... and quite another to drive past it. The whole thing seemed more like an campaign ad to get sheriff Joe re-elected, than some kind of correctional or punitive measure. Since living here I have been made aware of how much division, discontent, and expensive law suits he is responsible for. It was weird to see his name on the primary ballot ( he ran un-opposed). We'll see what happens in November. Will Maricopa re-elect "America's Toughest Sheriff"? I hope not.

No comments: