Friday, March 28, 2008

Shaving my Chin...

... and wearing a watch; are two things I haven't done since I left UPS six years ago this March. It seems big brown would like me to come back to their part time management team. This is very exciting to me, except I'm realizing I'll be back to a naked face and a no longer bare wrist.

When I traveled the U.S., itenerating for the church, I was always amazed at what freaked people out and what didn't freak people out. This is a similar experience. I have to shave my well trimmed pastoral looking goatee to fit in with the professional image UPS expects of it's managers. Yet here in the Valley of the Sun they let management wear shorts! I have lots of questions about jeans and "sport shirts". I know "business casual" is tough to define, but shorts?!? I guess the church is not the only institution that excels in "things that shouldn't matter..."

I'm thankful for the opportunity. It's an answer to prayer. Nothing is for sure yet, but it looks like I may be starting on Monday. They did have me fill out a w-4, direct deposit authorization, and promise not to harass people. This is going to be an interesting season.

No comments: