Friday, April 13, 2007

God of Wonders...


There is an interesting piece in TIME magazine titled Einstein & Faith. I don't think Al would appreciate me quoting him to support my belief in a loving good God who has a wonderful plan for my life. And I doubt he would agree with me when I invite others to "surrender their life to Jesus" or even when I suggest they "be more open to acknowledging Him and His Kingdom". I struggle with his fatalistic views and then I wonder what he would have thought if he was around today?
I think me and Einstein find common ground in what I would call the "Mystery of God" and I was inspired by this man's thoughts this morning;
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible laws and connections, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in fact, religious."
Me too Al, well said. As a student of theology, and a seeker of truth (as well as Truth), I find this even more applicable in trying to penetrate the secrets of not just nature, but the nature of God. This "veneration" drives my faith, my ministry, and my morality, but also challenges me to hold these things, especially the cultural applications of them, a little more loosely. Does that make me a scientist? Maybe only in the sense that I desire truth. Today I pray a prayer for all scientists.
May God Bless us, and allow us to discover truth... and (forgive me Al) may we be more open to Him and His Kingdom. Amen.

No comments: